17 April 2009

The Ties That Bind.

Some brief, yet insightful social commentary from yet another one of my daily reads, A Softer World:


Sometimes it feels good to be just another number, a random face in the crowd. Especially when I'm feeling introverted, it's comforting to know that I can nestle inside a pair of headphones, cloak myself in anonymity and slip through the human sea unnoticed. Part of that comfort lies in the knowledge that life in this city goes on even if I choose not to participate visibly in it, that it can and will play exhibitionist to my voyeur (what can I say, my people-watching skills were honed in college). Sometimes, though, it's nice to be a part of the action, to find that connection and attach oneself somehow to the outside world and the people in it.

So this weekend I'm planning on going to the Singgalot (The Ties That Bind) Exhibit at the Kansas City Central Library. I figure that since I've basically been a hermit the past week or so, it's a good way to get out of the apartment and do something "cultural" for a change. It's been a minute since I've read Strangers From A Different Shore, and I wouldn't mind a refresher on Filipino immigration history. Plus, both admission and parking are free, so I really don't have an excuse.

Have a great Friday -- it's finally warming up here!

2 comment(s):

Kimmie said...

It's finally warming up here too. Glad ur getting out and about. Hope it was fun!

Strictor said...

I keep going back to Photoshop Phriday. That shit is dope, I wish I had those skills. I guess I'll have to make do with Paint...hahaha

Post a Comment