31 May 2009

Weather Or Not.

Been crazy slacking this month with posts, so I want to get at least another one down before the month ends. Is May over already?

Although I've lived here for a year and a half now, I keep forgetting about the spring weather in the Midwest. One day it can be in the mid-50s and cloudy, then jump up to a blazing 90 the next -- causing havoc in closets and dressers everywhere. You have to pay close attention to the day's forecast* if you want to be anywhere close to dressing comfortably -- there's little room for error.

There are only three weeks left until the official start of summer on 21 June. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I do love warm weather and all the outdoor activities that become available (swimming, jogging, mugging people, etc.). So in the next few weeks I plan on soaking up some Vitamin Diesel and getting a little color before Jose refers again to me being a lovely blinding shade of "office pale". Besides I've been cooped up in the hospital too long; it's good to have a change of scenery after work that doesn't involve staring at some kind of screen. Word to Hulu.

On the other hand, I hate dressing for summer. As the temperature goes up, guys become severely limited to the type of clothes they can wear (shorts and a t-shirt with sneaks or flip-flops), whereas women still have a variety of combos to pick from (shorts, skirts and dresses paired with an endless selection of tops and footwear). I'm not the most fashion-forward cat around, but I much prefer fall attire over summer gear. I'm talking light jackets/hoodies, scarves, a fitted tee, a good pair of jeans, and kicks that don't look like a Technicolor muppet threw up on them. Word to Tim Gunn.


Obviously this option's not quite realistic when it's 80+ outside, so I'll be content with the cargo shorts and the flippy-floppies (word to Andy Samberg). After all, the summer fashion philosophy for guys consists largely of comfort over style. I can definitely get with that, and will enjoy the summer months nearly upon us ... but when the weather gets a little cooler, best believe my Scarf Game will be strong.

*I've stopped paying any attention whatsoever to the extended forecast. The weather's just been too unpredictable lately to bother planning what to wear even two days out. Now I just wake up, check the temperature for the day and look out the window to see if it's raining. (Well, not that it really matters much 'cause I rock scrubs 40 hours a week. Hunter green ones at that.)

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment