29 August 2009

1.5 Sapphire & Tonics.

50% orange juice + 50% ginger ale = effervescent goodness

I don't know why I never thought of drinking this combo before.  It's basically a non-alcoholic mimosa, and it's tasty as hell.  No more shall I drink OJ at home without the bubbles to go with it.
During a lull at the hospital yesterday, a classmate and I got to talking about our weekend plans.  This is my weekend to work CT transport at the hospital so I'd stay in for the night1, but she had plans to go out with a mutual friend who's coming to town.  Talk inevitably turned to bar/club-hopping and drinking, and to the fact that my alcohol tolerance has gone waaaaay down. Since I moved back to the Midwest, I don't really drink with any kind of regularity anymore.  In fact, the last time I went out, I felt tipsy after only 1.5 Sapphire and tonics.  And I barely finished the second glass.  Weak sauce!

Actually, I would have said that of myself ten years ago, when I was going out several times a week and in my drinking prime.  Obviously I've slowed down since then, especially since the allure of the club scene has dulled over the years, and recently I reached the conclusion that -- real talk -- it's not as much fun to drink as it used to be.

I never liked hangovers anyway (who does?), and it's hard to forget the feeling of dread each time I hovered over a toilet waiting to taste my drinks again on the way back up.  Granted, I've only thrown up from alcohol a handful of times ever, but I wouldn't want to do it again.  If I'm gonna do the Technicolor yawn, it better be for something worth it, like from a crazy bad reaction to shrooms or salvia or something2.

Anyway, I'm just lucky the people I've had the pleasure of drinking with back in the day weren't into shaming, or else I would've sworn off alcohol long ago after inevitably waking up to find myself duct-taped to the hood of a minivan with male genitalia and racial slurs scribbled artfully on my face.  But the drinking experiences were fun while it lasted.  Besides I don't think my body can handle it anymore3. At this point, my hangovers would probably last the whole day at the rate that I'm (not) drinking.

Anyway, all you binge drinkers keep doing you.  I'll toast up a glass or two, but after that I'll be content to be an amused bystander as you go about your hilarious drunken shenanigans.  I'll be aight. Besides, I got my fantastic non-alcoholic mimosa.  Bottoms up.

On a completely unrelated note, St. Germain's Tourist is auditory silk.  Listen to the album.  Your ears will thank you.

1But then again, what else is new?
2Not that I've experienced this, though ...
3My old-man excuse.  Now get off my lawn!

2 comment(s):

Work in Progress said...

Hey, nothing wrong with laying off the alcohol. I absolutely hated hugging the porcelain bowl every time I drank. Although, I have to admit I threw up some fantastic color combinations. Gotta love those mixed drinks! Anyway, being sober can be fun, too. You just have to find a way to make it entertaining--like videotaping your drunk friends. Next time you see L-Dawg ask him if you can see the "video"--you'll laugh your ass off. Guaranteed! I still giggle when I think about it. In fact, I'm chuckling to myself right now. Hehe.

Work in Progress said...

Oh, one more thing...ginger ale with a splash of cranberry juice isn't so bad either. A flight attendant made it for me once when I asked for a ginger ale. The cran was a nice surprise.

Post a Comment