18 January 2010

Heavy Rotation 007: Starsmith | The Remixes.

Okay so I've been slightly obsessed with electro-pop and dubstep for a few months now, scouring music blogs and sites for the latest wobble and synth to grace my noise-cancelling headphones. Both sub-genres have been bubbling for a minute, and it seems like they're really starting to accelerate and blow the f!ck up globally. There's a ton of artists and producers releasing quality material on the daily. And although I don't really check for Top 40 anymore, paradoxically enough I'm really feeling some dubstep and electro remixes of pop songs that caught fire on the Web (I mean, just type "electro" in the search box on The Hype Machine and see if I'm lying).

One electro-pop producer I'm excited about, however, is Starsmith [MySpace, Facebook]. A young cat hailing from London and freshly signed to Island, son is making significant noise in the scene. Having just completed Ellie Goulding's album (one of my favorite new British singers who no doubt deserves another Heavy Rotation post by herself), he's about to start working on his own project, but has done a grip of remixes under his belt that have to be heard.

No, really: You need to hear them.

So I took all the tracks I could find* from a handful of blogs, tagged them, zipped the whole thing up and now I'm sharing them with you. Before you do anything else today, grab Starsmith: The Remixes*.



Yeah, I couldn't help myself and made an album cover. Haha hopefully it's not that cheesy. Anyway here's a track listing:
  1. Passion Pit - "Sleepyhead (feat. Ellie Goulding)"
  2. Frankmusik - "Better Off As Two"
  3. Katy Perry - "I Kissed A Girl"
  4. Lisa Mitchell - "Coin Laundry"
  5. Marina & The Diamonds - "I Am Not A Robot"
  6. Paloma Faith - "New York"
  7. Private - "My Secret Lover"
  8. Lady Gaga - "Bad Romance"
Only eight songs deep at the moment, but all quality. Boom it out the speakers and push that "Repeat All" button. This is something different for your brain to nosh on -- something upbeat, springy and undeniably good -- and you won't go wrong with it. Thank me later.

*I know there are lots more out there, and according to his Facebook fan page at the time of this post, he just finished a Timbaland remix. I'll update the link when I get them for those who are interested.

Edit: Seems Mediafire took the link down. Ah well ... Google is your friend :)

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment