08 September 2010

The 53 Runner's Commandments, Part 01.

Joe Kelly of the Pine Belt Pacers, a running club in Mississippi, created a list for runners. They're a pretty good set of rules and general tips, some geared for group or competitive running. Here are the first fifteen "commandments" with some personal thoughts.
  1. Don’t be a whiner. Nobody likes a whiner, not even other whiners. Easily applied to all other aspects of life wouldn't you say?

  2. Walking out the door is often the toughest part of a run. I know that on some days it's harder to plan for a run given errands or some other time constraints. The commitment to running has been the most difficult part of the whole fitness routine to me. For the most part, I've stuck to it.

  3. Don’t make running your life. Make it part of your life.

  4. During group training runs, don’t let anyone run alone.

  5. Keep promises, especially ones made to yourself. I've committed to running about 20K weekly. Sometimes the weather has prevented me from going out, but hopefully I'll be forgiven for not wanting to get struck by lightning while jogging around the block. *insert generic Midwestern weather complaint here*

  6. When doing group runs, start on time no matter who’s missing. I'm not currently part of a group so this doesn't really apply, but it does help my own schedule greatly when I stick to a scheduled time for running. I block out about an hour for my 5K, This includes warm-up/cool-down, the run, and showering afterward. Staying on schedule is key for me.

  7. The faster you are the less you should talk about your times.

  8. Keep a quarter in your pocket. One day you’ll need to call for a ride. I have no idea where any payphones are in my area! So far a housekey has been sufficient.

  9. Don’t compare yourself to other runners. Right now I'm concentrating on bettering my own times, so I don't have anyone to compare against. I do know that I'd like to get my 5K down in the 24-minute range though.

  10. All runners are equal, some are just faster than others.

  11. Keep in mind that the later in the day it gets, the more likely it is that you won’t run. Especially now that autumn is around the corner. It's steadily been getting darker sooner. I don't have a problem with running in the evening, but it's definitely harder to go outside once the sun goes down.

  12. For a change of pace, get driven out and then run back. Recently I've been running my regular route in reverse. It's like a whole new course; the hills are killing me! But killing me in a good way.

  13. If it was easy, everybody would be a runner. I actually don't wish it were easier. I like the challenge.

  14. When standing in starting lines, remind yourself how fortunate you are to be there.

  15. Getting out of shape is much easier than getting into shape. See #13.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment