29 September 2010

Minimalism Fail.

I always end up accumulating more than I need. This is never more evident than whenever I move from place to place, and each time it's a surprise that I've somehow amassed all this ... stuff. It's happened again this week: as you might know, I'm gearing up to move back to Seattle with my little girl Veronica with nothing more than what I can fit in my car. In theory this seems fairly straightforward: clothes, some books and electronics. You know, the essentials. But no.

As I go through the boxes in my bedroom and the storage area in the basement, I keep finding more things that I think I should bring: different bags, mementos, various documents and assorted paraphernalia that I've been lugging around to each residence. I thought I'd done a good job in streamlining my possessions over the years. Looking at the pile of boxes and totes stacked up in a corner though, there's no doubt right now that I won't be able to bring everything that I've packed. I'll have to mail much of it separately, and the best thing to do would be to keep minimizing the load.


my life goes here

In times past I've viewed moving as a chance to purge unnecessary material objects out of my life with successful results. There are a few certain things that hold sentimental value to me, and I'll definitely hold onto those. Continuing to prune my possessions this time shouldn't be any different. We'll see. After all:
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

- Antoine de Saint-Exupe

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment