20 September 2010

Non-Sequiturs & Flashes Of Brilliance.

Cleverbot is an interesting, sometimes hilarious display of artificial intelligence. You "chat" with a computer who apparently learns from each conversation and replies with remarkably human-sounding responses. I wanted to see what would happen if I spoke only in rhyme, so I started a chat with Cleverbot using only the first verse from my song "Pressure."
Me: I went from stompin' down blocks in Seattle rain to California freeway passing lanes.

Cleverbot: That sounds fun. I went to a basketball game and played in the pep band.

Me: From rockin' a hoodie with them Timberland kicks with my cap on tilt, I was still in the mix.

Cleverbot: Yes.

Me: But things got hectic and I needed a breather, feelin' a fever, maybe even amnesia.

Cleverbot: Why?

Me: Either it was me or the reefer, but I was fiendin' for the good old days like 'Leave It To Beaver'.

Cleverbot: Looks like you don't.

Me: Though I knew things would never be white or black, with the pieces of the puzzle fittin' right exact.

Cleverbot: I'm not a big fan of country music. But you might like her. She's very young-sounding.

Me: Look, if I wasn't shook I was fightin' back and I'ma never hide the fact that I'll write, react.

Cleverbot: We wouldn't want him littering the street I suppose.

Me: To whatever's thrown at me, if it's stress, let it blow past me 'cause at my death I'ma go happy.

Cleverbot: Down.

Me: Yo I don't need that drama. Never have, never will, that's the deal -- if you don't know, ask me.

Cleverbot: You'll never know until you try right? Whatever happens, I'll be here if you need me.
The first responses were amusing, and some of them were just nonsensical and confusing, but Cleverbot's reply to the last couple of bars of the verse gave me pause. It's essentially the message of the song itself: I'll be here if you need me. Kinda weird if this was a random response, and actually creepy if it had processed the context of the entire conversation.


I watch you when you sleep

There's been some speculation that you're talking to other users instead of just a computer -- which would make it a pretty good, unsettling prank to play if that were true. Decide for yourself: Have a chat with Cleverbot and let me know how it goes.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment