20 April 2010

The Experimental Soundtrack Of My Childhood.

I remember messing around on my parents' Yamaha organ waaay back in the day, playing the preset percussion rhythms (tango, rumba, etc.) and creating random chord arrangements from the synthesized instruments (harpsichord, flute, etc.) when I got bored with actual practice. I'd tap out simple melodies and harmonies for an hour or so, trying to coordinate those with booming bassline accompaniment on the pedals below.

More often than not, the resulting "music" sounded like the dissonant experimental soundtrack for some avant-garde abstract art exhibit, but sometimes it actually sounded kinda good (to my 7-year-old ears, anyway). I wish I'd had some convenient way to record my compositions, but if I concentrate hard enough on a quiet afternoon, I can still hear snippets of my childhood spontaneity coursing through my memory.


[via]

Nowadays you can have your own home studio in the bedroom for just a small pile of cash. I've been thinking about doing this for some years now; I'd love to create some funky spacey electronic stuff and unleash it to the Internet like a thousand music blog geeks before me. However, current finances are being directed to other, more important places at the moment. This I don't mind at all, but every now and then I still cue up YouTube videos of people just making beats/music on their own home equipment -- and I damn near salivate. Like the name of this blog, there are always melodies and rhythms percolating in my head. I want to be able to record them for posterity, and perhaps even let you listen to them someday.

This post is dedicated to my old childhood Yamaha organ. Hope you're still making music, wherever you are :D


We go way back

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment