20 August 2010

Style Never Dies.

It's probably 'cause I've gotten better at looking at things in the long term, but lately I have been thinking about how my own personal style has developed over the years, and what it will eventually evolve into a few seasons from now. I occasionally read forums and articles on men's fashion and a question that's often asked is how to dress "appropriately" for a certain age, occasion, profession, or look.


I need to look this good when I'm 60 [via]

The most common answer is a general one: "Wear clothes that fit well." I'll be the first to admit that I'd never exactly followed this rule when I was younger. Hell, I was a teenager as prone to trends as the next kid. Unsurprisingly, I went along with what was popular (in an effort to become popular myself), and all along mistook those fashions for real style.
Fashions fade, style is eternal.
- Yves Saint Laurent
Over the past couple of years, I've noticed that I've started simplifying the types of clothes that I buy. I'm going for more subdued patterns and colors, and building a nice combination palette from a few select pieces. When the weather permits, layering (that makes sense) is a must. I still wear T-shirts, but I'm trying to phase slowly out of graphics tees -- or at least, anything with loud designs and colors on them. Basically, I want to wear clothes that look as good put together in five or ten years as they do today. Although it had a pretty good run, somehow I don't think Affliction will still be around.
Style is an expression of individualism mixed with charisma. Fashion is something that comes after style.
- John Fairchild
I guess my goal is to become a sharper, classier dresser. Don't think Mad Men status or anything like that, because I'm nothing like Don Draper. But I like to think that I've injected an "expression of individualism" in what I choose to wear out on a daily basis. Yes, some of the things I own (and still currently wear) won't be in fashion in five years, or even next. But I can guarantee you I won't appear on the Don'ts section on Vice (yeah it's jokes but daaaaamn). And that's always a good thing.

I hope. Now where did I put my jean jacket? I heard they're back in.

1 comment(s):

michaelbuddy said...

must be our age. been thinking the same thing. I got a boss at work who is about as stylish as they come. I'm gonna have a chat with him about it soon.

Post a Comment