01 September 2010

Fundamental.

According to this link, 80% of the American population wants to write a book. All fine and good; few things probably match the feeling of getting your work published (and hopefully critically acclaimed). Unfortunately, the same link also points out some other disappointing stats that, frankly, crush my soul:
  • 33% of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.
  • 42% of college graduates never read another book after college.
  • 80% of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year.
  • 70% of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.
  • 57% of new books are not read to completion.
*facepalm* This is freaking sad. As my childhood friend Captain OG Readmore says:


Read a book, you bastards

Is it fair to assume that in order to write a (successful) book, you have to have a passion for -- or at least an interest in -- reading? I'm thankful I never got out of the habit, finding myself at the bookstore a couple of times a month. And it's not just to take advantage of the free wi-fi or thumb through magazines. While Borders is a convenient and trendy place to drink a coffee and catch up on your email, it's a kind of cozy escape as well, perfect for leafing through the newest hardbacks guilt-free. And sometimes the bargain bins reveal some gems as well: I recently acquired Birds In Fall and The Dissident, among other books, for a buck each. (Fiction isn't my thing right now, but these seemed like great light summer reading. I've finished reading the first one and have just started the second, and have been pleased with both so far.) But I digress.

It isn't hard to figure out why so many people aren't reading for pleasure/leisure anymore. We're so saturated by more dynamic forms of entertainment that reading seems almost quaint and archaic by comparison. Even after the wide releases and popularity of e-readers, I'm probably more apt to see a Nintendo DS than a paperback in a someone's hands.

So ... how does it make sense that you want to write a book, but in all likelihood wouldn't even read it?

Okay that's it. I'm off to Half-Price Books to see if I can find some treasure.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment