14 October 2010

The 53 Runner's Commandments, Part 03.

So I had to map another 5K route since moving back to the Seattle area. My sister's neighborhood has some large gentle hills so that gets a thumbs up from me; I'm starting to train again for some upcoming runs. I'm expecting to have to adapt a little bit to the climate; the last time I seriously trained, there was a 20+ degree difference in outdoor temperature and was much more humid.

Also, I'm gonna need new running shoes soon -- I'm wearing through the interior side lining of my current pair! The Nike+ system is tempting.


LunarEclipse+

Here's part three of my thoughts on Joe Kelly's 53 Runner's Commandments [read Parts 01 and 02].
  • Look at hills as opportunities to pass people. Haha. This is a good take on hills; I've always approached them with a feeling of dread. But hey it's worked out so far, at least when it came to climbing the hills during my last race.

  • Distance running is like cod liver oil. At first it makes you feel awful, then it makes you feel better. Speaking from experience, I've had headaches magically disappear during runs.

  • Never throw away the instructions to your running watch. I got mine from someone else so I'm probably missing out on half of the functions I could be using.

  • Don’t try to outrun dogs. Luckily I haven't had to try yet. Chalk it up to responsible neighbors.

  • Don’t trust runners who show up at races claiming to be tired, out of share, or not feeling well.

  • Don’t wait for perfect weather. If you do, you won’t run very often. I just moved back to the Northwest; I know what I'm up against. Rain gear is in the closet ready to go.

  • When tempted to stop being a runner, make a list of the reasons you started.

  • Never run alongside very old or very young racers. They get all of the applause.

  • Without goals, training has no purpose. 25:30 5K. I CAN DO IT.

  • During training runs, let the slowest runner in the group set the pace.

  • The first year in a new age group offers the best opportunity for trophies. Not quite up to this point yet, but definitely in the future.

  • Go for broke, but be prepared to be broken. My lungs testify to the truth of this one.

  • Spend more time running on the roads than sitting on the couch. Or in my case, surfing the Web.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment